Admission Requirements for the Bachelor of Science in English Education Program*
- Associate in Arts degree from a regionally accredited institution or at least 60 semester credit hours of postsecondary education with completion of the Chipola College general studies requirement.
- Completion of all lower division state mandated common prerequisites detailed in table below.
- Earned overall GPA of 2.5 in lower division coursework.
- Demonstrated proficiency in state mandated General Knowledge content through satisfactory completion of all four (4) parts of the General Knowledge part of the Florida Teachers Certification Exam. (register online for the General Knowledge test at www.fl.nesinc.com). Additional information about the General Knowledge test can be found at https://app1.fldoe.org/ftce/Portal/FtceTests.aspx.
- Satisfactory background check by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Call 850-718-2407 to schedule an appointment.
- Submission of completed Chipola application and official high school and college transcripts.
- Submission of a satisfactory brief narrative that includes a request for admission to the program, factors influencing the applicant’s decision to teach, the applicant’s philosophy of education, and previous teaching or related experiences which demonstrate the applicant’s potential as an educator.
- Written recommendations from three (3) individuals familiar with the applicant's work, personal character, and/or ability to work children and/or youth. You may have the evaluator use the recommendation form posted here.
*Professional Behaviors and Dispositions:
While enrolled in teacher education
programs, the student is expected to demonstrate
behaviors and dispositions that conform to the "Code
of Ethics" (State Board of Education Rule 6B-1.00,
FAC) and the "Principles of Professional Conduct in
Florida" (State Board of Education Rule 6B-1.006
FAC). The programs reserve the right to refuse
or discontinue enrollment of any student who
violates these expectations or in the judgment of a
majority of the program faculty does not meet the
Note: These are minimum standards. Many programs have higher standards.
Note: There is no required minimum composite score on the ACT or the SAT for admission to Teacher Education. However, programs with limited enrollment status may require submission of the score and may use that score in determining which students will be admitted.
Submit the following to the Student Affairs Office in A
137; Phone: (850) 718-2211:
- Completed Chipola College application. If you were not enrolled within the last semester at Chipola College, you will need to submit a new application.
- Completed Chipola College Baccalaureate Supplemental Application for the Bachelor’s program.
- A High School Transcript denoting graduation and/or all college transcripts.
Contact Dr. Pam Rentz at (850) 718-3287 or email@example.com for advising information.
Take the pink Student Registration and Drop/Add Form to the Business Office in A165 to pay tuition or have it charged to your financial aid. Phone: (850) 718-2204.
Click here to enter your name in the BS database for the BS in English Education program or for more information on other Chipola four-year programs.