Admission Requirements for the Teacher Education Program
- Associate in Arts degree from a regionally accredited institution or at least 60 semester credit hours of postsecondary education with completion of the general studies requirement.
- Completion of all lower division state mandated common prerequisites including the three Education prerequisites EDF 1005, EDF 2085 (previously EDG 2701), EME 2040. See pages 58-61 for freshman and sophomore requirements.*
- Earned overall GPA of 2.5 in lower division coursework.
- Demonstrated proficiency in state mandated General Knowledge content through satisfactory completion of all four (4) parts of the CLAST examination or the General Knowledge part of the Florida Teachers Certification Exam (register online for the General Knowledge test at www.fl.nesinc.com). Additional information about the General Knowledge test can be found at https://app1.fldoe.org/ftce/Portal/FtceTests.aspx.
- CLAST exemptions do not meet this requirement.
- Satisfactory background check by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Call 850-718-2407 to schedule an appointment. http://www.fldoe.org/edstandards/background_screening.asp
- Submission of completed Chipola application and official transcripts.
- Submission of a satisfactory brief narrative that includes a request for admission to the program, factors influencing the applicant’s decision to teach, the applicant’s philosophy of education, and previous teaching or related experiences which demonstrate the applicant’s potential as an educator.
- Written recommendations from three (3) individuals familiar with the applicant’s academic work, personal character, and/or ability to work with children and/or youth. You may have the evaluator use this recommendation form for all Teacher Education programs: Mathematics and Science, Elementary Education and Exceptional Student Education, and/or English Education.
Submit the following to the Student Affairs Office in A
137; Phone: (850) 718-2211:
- Completed Chipola College application. If you were not enrolled within the last semester at Chipola College, you will need to submit a new application.
- Completed Chipola College Baccalaureate Supplemental Application for the Bachelor’s program.
- A High School Transcript denoting graduation and/or all college transcripts.
Students should apply for Financial Aid as soon as
Each student MUST complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form to apply for federal financial aid if they wish to receive any kind of financial aid for this program. The form can be filled out online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov or can be picked up from the Chipola Financial Aid Office in A 157. Call (850) 718-2366 or visit http://www.chipola.edu/financialaid/what.htm for more information.
Contact the Teacher Education Program at (850)
718-2492 for an advising appointment and to enroll
Take the pink Student Registration and Drop/Add Form to the Business Office in A165 to pay tuition or have it charged to your financial aid. Phone: (850) 718-2204.
Contact Dr. Lou Cleveland at (850) 718-2492 or email@example.com for advising information.
ID Cards and Books:
All students must obtain a photo I.D. from Student Services. New students must take the white registration receipt received from the Business Office to Student Services and have a photo ID made.
After securing a valid ID card, visit the bookstore on the lower level of the Student Center for your textbooks. Bookstore personnel will assist you in purchasing the correct books. Keep your registration receipt and your book store cash register receipt. If you have to exchange a book later, you will need both.
DO NOT UN-WRAP YOUR BOOKS until you are sure you do not want to exchange them. Un-wrapped books are considered Used books.
Parking decals must be obtained from the Business Office located in Building A, Room 165 if you drive a car on campus. You will need your car registration and student ID. Decals are included in the students' processing fees.
Click here to enter your name in the BS database for the BS Exceptional Education, Science Education, or Math Education programs or for more information about Chipola's four-year programs call the Baccalaureate Department (850) 718-2276.