Chipola Center for the Arts
Dr. Gene Prough Center for the Arts
About the Center for the Arts
The Dr. Gene Prough Center for the Arts, located on the Marianna campus of Chipola College, is one of Florida's finest performing, visual and educational centers. This teaching facility consists of a 655-seat state-of-the-art proscenium main theater for performing arts; a 150-seat flexible experimental theater used as a theatre classroom offers a venue for intimate works, cutting-edge programs and recitals; an art gallery in which to show works by Chipola students and faculty, as well as local, national and internationally-recognized artists; plus a dance studio, teaching areas, costume and scenery shops and offices. The Center is designed to serve the current and future needs of the Chipola College community, local cultural organizations and those living, working and visiting the Chipola region. The Center opened during the fall of 2012. The Chipola College District Board of Trustees renamed the Center in 2014 to honor Dr. Gene Prough for his vision and untiring efforts in making this project possible.
Components of the Chipola Center for the Arts
• A 655-seat state-of-the-art proscenium theater ideal for musicals, plays, dance and music performances. There are 487seats in the orchestra and 168 seats in the balcony.
• A 150-flexible-seat experimental theater for the presentation of intimate works, recitals and cutting-edge programs.
• An art gallery for exhibitions of works by Chipola students and faculty, as well as locally, nationally and internationally-recognized artists.
• A dance studio in which to teach classical, traditional, jazz and contemporary dance.
• Teaching spaces, meeting rooms, scenery and costume shops, and offices designed to enrich the educational experiences of Chipola students and more than 6,000 K-12 schoolchildren in the five-county area.
• 350-plus parking spaces for Center guests.
The Chipola Center for the Arts adds a dynamic dimension to the quality of life of the Chipola District and beyond. The Applause! fundraising campaign offers everyone exceptional opportunities to invest in the cultural life of the community and to be associated with the success and the history of the Center.
Be among the first to be part of the Applause! campaign. Your participation will help the Chipola Center for the Arts present the best educational and cultural experiences now and for many years to come.
Architect: DAG Architects Inc., Destin, Florida
Theatrical Consultant: Robert Lorelli Associates, Inc., Speonk, New York
Acoustical Consultant: Siebein Associates, Inc., Gainesville, Florida
Electrical Engineer: Humber Garick Consulting Engineers, Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Mechanical Plumbing & Fire Protection: H2 Engineering, Inc., Tallahassee, Florida
Civil Engineer/Landscaping: David H. Melvin, Inc., Tallahassee, Florida
Structural Engineer: Greenhorne & O'Mara, Pensacola, Florida
Construction: Allstate Construction, Inc.,/ Southland Contracting, Inc., a Joint Venture, Tallahassee, Florida